Structure of the Days
Physics is covered on Day 1, Maths on Day 2.
(Course content for each day can be found below.)
Classes are from 9.00am to 5.30pm everyday.
The online classroom will be available to join from 8.45am on both days.
There will be a one-hour lunch break and a couple of 10-min breaks in the morning and afternoon sessions.
Day 1: Physics
- Kinematics: Projectiles, graphs
- Dynamics: Forces, Newton’s Laws, connected particles, momentum
- Circular motion
- Gravitation and orbits
- Work, energy and power
- The solar system, phases of the moon and eclipses
- Basic circuit properties
- Resistance combinations
- Power in circuits
- Thermistors and LDRs in potential dividers
- Diodes and capacitors
- Wave properties, equations
- Electromagnetic spectrum
- Diffraction and interference
- Reflection at plane mirrors
- Refraction including prisms and total internal reflection
- Electric & Magnetic fields
- Coulomb’s Law
- Thermionic emission
- Electromagnetism, generators and motors
- Charged particles in fields
Day 2: Maths
- Graph sketching
- Questions with shapes
- Binomial expansion
- Series (arithmetic, geometric, summation notation)
- Coordinates (circles & straight lines)
- Algebra (rearranging expressions, roots of equations, simultaneous equations)
- Differentiation & Integration
Please note: this course is designed to help students improve their techniques for tackling PAT questions. Teaching the whole content from scratch is unrealistic in two days, to get the most out of the course students should refresh the material learnt in their first year of A-Levels and pre-read the PAT syllabus before the course commences.
Tutor: Gorkem Cavli
Gorkem studied Physics at Magdalen College, University of Oxford and graduated in 2011. He then gained his qualified teacher status (QTS) from King’s College London in 2012. Teaching has always been a passion for Gorkem since his teenage years, when he worked as a tennis coach. Upon deciding to pursue a career in teaching, Gorkem began tutoring in 2010 while he was an undergraduate student. Currently he works as a full-time tutor, specialising in Maths and Physics A-levels and admissions tests such as PAT, as well as helping students in their university application and interview preparation. In 2013, Gorkem established the Physics & Maths Tutor website, which has become a useful resource, providing study help for thousands of students. In his private life, Gorkem still enjoys being a dedicated tennis player and coach.
“Topics were presented in detail, with clarity and we were taught great techniques on answering various questions”
“I liked learning how to tackle problem solving questions which are not exercised in A-level”
“Gorkem explained every part of the PAT syllabus in an engaging way”
Dates & Bookings
- Day 1 - Physics
October 17, 2020
9:00 am - 5:30 pm
- Day 2 - Maths
October 18, 2020
8:45 am - 5:30 pm